Thursday, 14 November 2013

Creating a Deathstar Wedding Seating Plan

Hi All
I added a post a couple of months back with the Death Star Table Plan I made for my friend's wedding and as I took a lot of piccies while making it I thought I might as well share them.
 So it all started with a beach ball.  This was the 4th base I tried as in true Goldilocks fashion the others were all too big or too small and this one turned out to be just about right in the end. (I believe it was a 36" beach ball if anyone else is interested in creating their own.
 Then it was on with the layers of paper mache, just using good old fashioned flour and water and lots of newspapers.  I did around 3 layers (it's perched on a wine cooler), and then deflated the balloon and took it out and cut a hole around the one that was already there at the base.
 It was originally intended as a Pinata so before I closed it up I cut up ALOT of tissue paper and put inside as well as putting the ribbon up through the top for it to hang through.
 Then I made the laser bit by doing a couple of layers over Paper Mache over a bowl and then hot glued it in place before covering the whole thing again with around another 3 or 4 layers.
 There's the beach ball deflated beside the deathstar.
Once I was happy with the amount of layers and confident that it would be strong enough it was time to paint. So i started off with about 3 layers of a grey primer to cover up the newprint and ensure it wasn't all going to flake off. Then i did a couple of layers of silver metallic paint, obviously letting each layer dry in between.  Then I had different widths of masking tape and roughly followed a deathstar picture I had but pretty much just did what I thought looked right, then it was back out into the garage and sprayed over the whole thing with a darker metallic grey.
 
And this is what it looked like when all the masking tape was removed, hanging nicely in space on it's trusty coat rack (all very technical stuff)


 Then it was just a case of adding all the details. So I got put some black sating ribbon around the centre, adding the detailing of the laser using a black Sharpie and added lots and lots of dots using a white writer paint so it already has a nozzle and some glitter glue again so it was just a case of tabbing around.


And voila a finished deathstar.  I also added 12 jump rings all around the base and glued them in the holes which is where the table plan hang off when it was in place.



Hope you enjoyed the process

Sharing today with Make It Monday

Speak Soon
Nat -x-

3 comments:

  1. What a fun project! I really enjoyed looking at these pics to see the transformation from this being a Beachball to becoming a Deathstar. You did this so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love it!! Thank you for sharing over at MIM, Kerry DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this is fabulous! What a perfect deathstar! Saw you at MIM and had to take a closer look!

    ReplyDelete